Thanksgiving has finally arrived! The smell of turkey roasting in the oven and the sound of family chatter fills the air. Football is on the television and everyone is content. It's the perfect time to break out the Thanksgiving trivia!
Here are 20 interesting facts you can use to impress your guests this Thanksgiving!
- The average American eats roughly 4500 calories on Thanksgiving. This is equivalent to 14 pieces of pumpkin pie.
- 41% of people surveyed make their dinner completely from scratch.
- The first Thanksgiving dinner consisted of wild goose (or duck), turkey, deer, flint corn, fish, shellfish and eels.
- 96% of Americans gather for a Thanksgiving meal each year.
- Pumpkin pie is the most commonly served pie on Thanksgiving.
- 28% of Americans have more than 12 people at their table for Thanksgiving.
- The average amount of time spent eating Thanksgiving dinner is 16 minutes.
- Every year there are 46 million turkeys eaten in the U.S.
- The 5 most popular ways to serve leftover turkey after Thanksgiving ate sandwich, stew, chili, casseroles, and a burger.
- 79% of Americans say that they value the leftovers more than the actual Thanksgiving fay meal.
- On Thanksgiving in 2015, 46.9 Americans traveled more than 50 miles.
- During his presidency, Thomas Jefferson canceled Thanksgiving.
- The very first Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade included animals from the Central Park Zoo.
- The United States is home to 3 small towns called Turkey.
- The popular Christmas song “Jingle Bells” was originally a Thanksgiving song.
- Ben Franklin wanted the turkey to be the official national bird.
- The first-ever TV dinner was inspired by Thanksgiving leftovers.
- The state that produces the most turkeys is Minnesota.
- The very first Thanksgiving celebration lasted for 3 days.
- Only 88% of Americans actually eat turkey on Thanksgiving
Happy Thanksgiving from the Z57 family to yours!