If you furrowed your brows and scratched your head the first time you heard the term SEO (search engine optimization) or PPC (pay-per-click), you aren’t alone. When you're a real estate agent, online visibility is imperative for bringing in new leads and ultimately growing your business. Once you understand these online marketing elements, you'll see how both can greatly boost your traffic and leads.
Not sure what's right for you? We’re about to break it down!
SEO – Search Engine Optimization
Search engine optimization is the practice of organically improving your ability to have your website found from relevant web searches.
How this benefits you as an agent -
As you know, getting traffic to your website is a big deal. It's how you get new leads and get your name out there in the real estate world. With the right SEO tactics, you can start moving up the search engine rankings for relevant terms like "Dallas real estate agent," or "Ocean View Real Estate in San Diego."
- When done correctly, you will have free, targeted traffic coming to your site continually
- SEO traffic is likely to convert
- Your blog and social media presence can be used to help boost your ranking.
- Results take time and certainly don't happen overnight
- Algorithm changes can strike at any time and as a result, your ranking can change suddenly
- If done incorrectly (not in compliance with Google), you can be blacklisted from search results. Check out the Webmaster Guidelines to be sure you are in compliance.
- Optimizing your website structurally - Title tags, add keywords in image text, making sure your site is crawlable to search engines. For more website SEO tips, check out SearchEngineWatch.
- Writing content with targeted keywords in mind - consider the phrases or words you would like leads to find you by and then conduct a brief keyword search with a tool like Google Adwords. Learn how to do a simple keyword analysis here.
Utilizing SEO as a Real Estate Agent
SEO is something that should be top of mind whenever you are writing a blog or creating new content for your website. If you aren't super tech savvy, many agents opt for a website that has the hard wiring of SEO already included. For example, agents who use PropertyPulse, already have their websites optimized.
PPC – Pay-per-click
Definition - As the name implies, PPC allows you to pay when visitors click on your ad and visit your site. It allows you to pay for targeted traffic, rather than receive it organically as you would through the utilization of SEO.
- Traffic is delivered much faster than with SEO
- You'll be able to set your own budget
- Campaigns are easy to manage
- No guarantee that those clicks will convert into customers
- Competitive keywords can be expensive
- Possibility of click fraud (competitors clicking your ad to continually increase your spend)
Utilizing PPC as an agent
In the real estate industry, PPC is highly effective for bringing in leads. Facebook is a great example of PPC in action. You can target specific locations and audiences to view your ad, driving targeted traffic to your website. This is ideal for getting eyes on a specific listing or getting buyer and seller leads to find you online as well.
In most cases, a mixture of both SEO and PPC can be highly beneficial for real estate agents. If you would like to speak with one of our real estate marketing experts today about marketing best practices, let us know!